Disney Laying Off 28-Thousand Workers In SoCal
October 1, 2020 3:27PM PDT
In line with a statewide Flex Alert issued by the California Independent System Operator calling for energy conservation across much of the state for Thursday, October 1, 2020, the Imperial Irrigation District is asking its customers to do their part to voluntary conserve electricity, especially between the hours of 3 p.m. and 9 p.m.
The National Weather Service reports that hot and dry conditions will continue through Friday across portions of California and has issued heat advisories for much of the state. Locally, temperatures are expected to reach 107 today and Friday, and 106 on Saturday.
IID encourages customers to take simple energy conservation steps to stay cool while helping take stress off the local electric grid, such as:
- Avoiding the use of major appliances like washers, dryers, dishwashers, pool pumps, charging of electric vehicles, applicable industrial equipment, etc., between peak hours of 3 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- Setting thermostats at 78 degrees or higher when home.
- Using floor or ceiling fans to cool off for less; however, be sure to turn fans off when you leave a room as they only cool people, not spaces.
- Turning off all unnecessary lights.
- Blocking the sun from overheating your home. Inside, use shades, blinds and drapes. Outside, use awnings, trees and shrubs.